Chris Cattel "Honor Roll"
Hole in the Wall Gang Team Member Inductee
PHOTO: Chris with Lorrain "Whitey" Harrison 1993.
Born in Great Britain in 1941, then immigrated to the United States in 1957. Started Surfing in 1959. Got the nickname of “styrofoam” from making my first surfboard out of a homemade kit. Then I surfed a Wardy, Jacobs surfboard and then surfed for the Gordie Exhibition Team.
In 1960, competition started. I surfed USSC in 1960, 1961, 1965 and 1971. I also modeled for Hang Ten Surfing Illustrated Magazine.
Judged the WSA and Katin Pro/Am contests. At the same time, I was surfing for the HIWG Surf Team (1970-1980).
PHOTO: Chris judging the Katin Pro/Am contest with Nancy Katin.
PHOTO: Courtesy LeRoy Grannis.
SOME CONTEST RESULTS:
UNITED STATES SURFING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- 1976 Hawaii/Ala Moana
- 1977 3rd Senior Men, San Onofre, CA
- 1978 1st Senior Men, Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
- 1979 2nd Senior Men, South Padre Island, Texas
WEST COAST SURFING CHAMPIONSHIPS “WSA” INVITATIONAL
- 1976 1st Senior, San Onofre
- 1977 1st Senior, San Diego
- 1978 1st Senior, Carlsbad
- 1979 1st Senior, Oceanside
- 1980 1st Senior, Trestles
PHOTO: By John Lyman Southside HB Pier
- 1971 1st Masters BEST HUNTINGTON BEACH SURFER AWARD 1st Place
- 1972 5th Masters
- 1976 1st Senior
- 1977 1st Senior
- 1978 1st Senior
- 1980 2nd Senior
- 1981 5th Senior
- 1982 3rd Senior
- 1983 3rd Senior
- 1984 1st Senior
- 1985 4th Senior
- 1986 5th Senior
- 1987 2nd Grand Master
- 1988 1st Grand Masters
- 1989 1st Grand Master
- 1990 4th Grand Masters
- 1991 2nd Grand Masters
- 1993 6th Grand Masters