Chuck Linnen 2003 Local Hero, 2007 Honor Roll "The Boys of '55" & 2011 Honor Roll "Hole in the Wall Gang"
Competition has always been Chuck's forte
PHOTO: Huntington Beach Pier, courtesy of Ron Stoner
PHOTO: Makaha Nov. 65', courtesy of LeRoy Grannis
PHOTO: Huntington Beach, Linnen Archive
"As I ride the wave distantly, following the echo, I have arrived at my home"
A longtime local Huntington Beach surfer, Chuck rode his first wave in 1954 then traveled to the North Shore to surf in the early 1960's. Competition has always been his forte. He competed in the '58 Oceanside Invitational, the first U.S. Championship at Huntington Beach Pier in '59, and the '61 World Contest at Makaha. He competed at the 1964 world contest in Peru and was runner-up at the Malibu Masters event in 1973. Recently held NSSA Senior Champ and WSA Grand Master titles.
PHOTO: Courtesy of Sharon Marshall
PHOTO: Chuck and other team members arriving at the Peru Airport for the the 1964 World Contest, standard attire. Linnea Archive.
PHOTO: Chuck at Huntington Beach Pier, courtesy of Ron Dotson. Linnea Archive.
PHOTO: Chuck with Joyce Hoffman at Sunset Beach December 65'. Courtesy of LeRoy Grannis.
PHOTO: Navy days "When Men Were Men", Chuck Linnen second from left. Linnen Archive.
PHOTO: 1965 Chuck Linnen in his younger days riding a good sized wave at Makaha in Hawaii. The former Long Beach resident made many trips to Hawaii to ride the large waves. Chuck, now a Huntington Beach resident, was inducted into the Huntington Beach Surfing
Walk of Fame on July 31st as the Local Hero. Courtesy of Leo Hetzel
Timeline of Boards
- 1954 Hobie Alter 1st Board
- Gordie Surfboard 3rd Board George Stremple reshaped Balsa board, referred as a "Pig Board"
- 1957 Del Cannon Step Down
- 1960-62 Hap Jacobs
- 1962-64 Sonny Vardeman
- 1962-64 Surfboards by Jacobs in World Contest Lima Peru, South America.
- 1963-65 Vardeman Surf Team
- 1963 Joey Cabell, Paul Strauch
- 1964-65 Vardeman Wayne Land Model. Guns Big Wave Boards 11'4"
- 1966 Buzzy Trent Model shaped by Dick Brewer
- 1966 Bing Copeland Surfboard-Only three made "Bing Pipe Liner"
- 1967 John Peck-Morey Pope Penetrator
- 1967 Riding My Bing Pipe Liner
- 1968 Greek Surfboards
- 1970 Dick Brewer Gun and Greek Surfboards
- 1973 Bruce Jones
- 1973 Robert August
- 1974 Carl Hayward
- 1974 Hawaii Surf Design